Gardening and planters are not my forte, but I love learning about them!
Between both sides of my family, there are some amazing gardeners, so I have good teachers to learn from, but I'm not near many of them right now so I'm turning to other avenues for tips and tricks.
I'm sure this list is old news to 99% of you...but it's what I'M learning right now. ;)
I wanted to plant some summer color into a huge pot today, but didn't have the pea gravel or packing peanuts I'd heard to use on the bottom of the pot to help take up empty space (which would have to be filled with yet another $10 bag of soil) and help with water filtration.
So...to save myself from having to buy that 2nd bag of $10 dollar Miracle Grow, I used some of the following and/or read about these ideas:
- Milk jugs (cut off the tops and turn upside down)
- Wax juice cartons
- Plastic flower containers (what your flowers & plants usually come in from the store)
- Packing peanuts tied in plastic grocery bags
- Waded newspaper (although the newspaper holds water and WILL make your pot just as heavy in the end)
- Empty water bottles
- Aluminum pop cans
- Styrofoam (excellent way to recycle when you buy something new)
Hooray for Summer Flowers!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment