My small rant is something I've been thinking of for a few days and I'm just going to speak it out. There is no particular person in mind as I write this.....it's very generalized to what I see and read on a daily basis. It's my blog right? :)
(discontinue reading if you don't want to be part to any unpleasentries today)
I am continually amazed at the self-centered, ill-mannered and down right rude mentalities present in my generation. Namely gift-giving.
It's WONDERFUL to get married.
It's WONDERFUL to have babies.
Those events should be honored, celebrating and acknowledged.
NOT at the expense of manners and common sense.
May I offer a few thoughts from this weary woman?
Think twice before duplicating your guest list to multiple showers....It's bad manners, and puts your guests/friends in a very awkward position. I know of very few people who can afford a bridal gift, personal shower gift, bachlorette gift AND a wedding gift. Use sense people.
If you yourself can not think of more people to invite to your celebration (whether bridal or baby) for heaven sakes, it's very tacky to put it out there on any internet based forum saying
"If you want to come, let me know!"
I could rephrase that to say
"I couldn't think of you when naming friends, but if you're willing to bring a gift, you're more than welcome!"
One more and I'll be quiet.
My generation seems to be under the impression that grand and expensive registries for both wedding and baby showers are now in vogue regardless of your true level of income and living. I guess I'd ask "Do you actually run to Macy's or Babies R Us when you're in need of anything and everything....or will you consider another registry choice that's say, a bit more realistic?!" I have no qualms with people having a wedding china pattern picked out, that's special and unique. Or some larger items from a good quality store like Babies R Us...but if you choose the top of the line stores for both wedding and baby gifts (from the least to the greatest), to me that says "Don't you have $100 bucks to drop on my baby/wedding?" And again,
"This is the style I'd like to live in."
If truth be told you DO live in that style, both wedding and baby registries should be much smaller to begin with, because obviously you have the resources you need to buy it from the start!!!!
I may be sorry I wrote this, but the selfishness of my peers (and that I've recognized in my own life) was driving me up the wall. The Bible says:
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4
By all means, let's celebrate marriages & babies....
let's just use some old fashioned common sense and courtesy while we do.
2 comments:
I completely agree! When I was expecting my 4...I was thrilled with anything we got because it meant I didn't have to go out and buy it. The registry's have gotten out of hand...along with the multiple showers and events surrounding weddings.
It is so interesting you posted this and I agree, in fact I think gift giving for kids' birthdays here in CA is completely out of control and when we did our recent dedication for Gabe and Samara we said on the invites "No gifts please, your presence is the best present." We really meant it too, we don't want more stuff we want friendship! And what is funny is that because we said that, we had 26 adults and 19 kids show up, way more than if we would have had an obligation-filled "bring a gift" birthday party! That is how we wanted it, but we are surprised at how many people here will throw b-day bashes for each of their kids every single year and expect gifts. It gets tiring. And then what, the kid expects a party with loads of gifts every year? A gift isn't a gift if it is an obligation. And you would think with the recession people would be more sensitive.
Post a Comment