Monday, August 29, 2011

We're Friendly! Just Not Right Now.


I love neighbors.
I love friendly neighbors.
I love my white picket fence.

JUST NOT RIGHT NOW!

Saturday, as we were on a landscaping roll, pulling out rose bushes by the truck load, every time Andy would walk around the corner I'd lose him for 20 minutes to another neighbor! This has to be THE friendliest neighborhood I've ever been in. After a while I got smart and I made the rest of the trips around the side of the house while Andy stayed put.

This morning, I made a run for it, in my own backyard. I needed to adjust some sprinklers since I planted some $2.50 plants over the weekend. My game plan was simple: Run to the faucet, grab the sprinkler, adjust and dash for the deck. (These are the conundrums that go through a tired mom's mind in place of the common sense needed to get dressed and ready before attempting this) I was still in my pajamas (It was an extra long night, with a stuffed up baby), with Liam on my hip, drooling like a faucet with only a diaper on.

I was literally thinking to myself
"Oh my gosh, I look like one of those moms...." when I heard it.
"Helloooo!"
(Are you kidding me!? I was under 30 seconds!!!)
It was of course, 2 more neighbors I had yet to meet. They wanted to stop for a chat at the picket fence. I confess, all I could think about was how hoochie/overwhelmed mom I must have looked in my ultra-tight pj top, baggy pants and with my drooling half-naked child.
Ugh. Perfect timing.
Just the first impression I'd wanted to give!
My shirt could have been neon and said "HELP ME!" and I would have felt the same.

They graciously pretended not to notice as we talked about the fruit trees, the entire neighborhood has been very interested in what our plans are with the trees. Our front trees provide shade for at least 4 other homes, and we've come to realize that it was "tradition" for the neighbors to come enjoy the fruit when ripe.
(That's perfect, I don't have what I need to start canning anyway).

So, Jan and Opal, here's hoping we end up being great neighbors and you don't judge right off the bat, perhaps even give me a 2nd chance before writing me off as "The mom on the corner with too many kids and too little fashion sense." :) I don't know....I probably would have.

1 comment:

Cosmochick33 said...

Nellie you are something else I just have to say! I was laughing that whole time :) I am so sure no one is thinking that of you silly little lady!!! Enjoy your new home and once Berkley is in school I plan to make a date to visit :) Now go get dressed :) hahaha